When asked his reaction to seeing Saturday Night performed in New York after 40 years, Sondheim replied, “I don’t have any emotional reaction to Saturday Night at all — except fondness. It’s not bad stuff for a 23-year-old. There are some things that embarrass me so much in the lyrics — the missed accents, the obvious jokes. But I decided, Leave it. It’s my baby pictures. You don’t touch up a baby picture — you’re a baby!”
i’m only 24
i’m still young
if i write a thing it will still be a baby thing
if i write a thing it does not need to be perfect
getting better is a good thing and it means your old things will always be a little embarrassing and that’s okay and necessary, that should not prevent you from trying to make things or sharing the things you try to make
Thought you might appreciate this Stritch anecdote from a friend of mine at the Sundance Theater program: "My Elaine Stritch story. Moderating a TCG theatre panel with Elaine, Marsha Norman, Murray Hill, and Deborah Asiimwe Deborah GKashugi, Ugandan playwright! I say to Ms. Stritch before the panel, 'May I get you some water, Elaine?' Ms Stritch: 'I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.'"
oh my GOD
enough about sex positions has anyone discovered a reading position which doesn’t get uncomfortable after 5 minutes
In musical theatre, we don’t have memes, we have Patti LuPone, which roughly translates to “who do you think you are?!” and I think that’s the Carole King Musical.
John Doyle actually did do a production of ALNM where the actors carry their instruments, no?
NO HE DIDN’T BUT I WANT IT HE DID LIKE LITERALLY EVERY SONDHEIM SHOW BUT THE ONE THAT MAKES THE MOST SENSE WITH INSTRUMENTS
He didn’t do Pacific Overtures and I maintain Pacific Overtures would be the best.
Ok welllll he didn’t with Passion, he doesn’t with plenty of shows he does, if you did it with Pacific Overtures you best not be trying to pass it off as kabuki, and John Doyle isn’t a one trick pony
Thank you, Nico.
imagine if alnm went with the character/instruments thing and desiree just broke out into this rad flute solo halfway through send in the clowns
Or, if Patti is cast as Desiree, a rad tuba solo.
a John Doyle’d Sunday In The Park With George
- Georges/George plays the tuba
- Dot/Marie plays the tuba
- Old Lady/Blair Daniels plays the tuba
- Nurse/Mrs./Harriet Pawling plays the tuba
- Franz/Dennis plays the tuba
- Jules/Bob Greenberg plays the tuba
- Yvonne/Naomi Eisen plays the tuba
- Soldier/Alex plays the tuba
- Boatman/Charles Redmond plays the tuba
- Man lying on bank/Louis/Billy Webster plays the tuba
- Young man on a bank/Frieda/Betty plays the tuba
- Celeste #1/A waitress plays the tuba
- Celeste #2/Elaine plays the tuba
- Louise/A boy plays the tuba
- Man with bicycle/Museum assistant plays the tuba
- Mr./Lee Randolph plays the tuba
- Woman with baby carriage/Photographer plays the tuba
- Little girl plays the tuba
idk just a thought